Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Keeping busy


My family was out of town tonight. Do you think I read a book, or watched some of the Olympics?
Nah, I worked on the car...
First I mounted the potbox - this is the electronic throttle that tells the controller how much juice to give the motor. I mounted it on the firewall behind the windshield washer reservoir. I thought about a number of ways to connect the accelerator cable to the lever and ended up using an electrical lug crimped to the cable. I then wrapped the extra cable around the mounting screw and attached it to the lug with a mini cable strap - this gives me a little reassurance that if the crimp comes loose that the cable loop will keep it working. Furthermore, since I didn't remove the end cap from the cable, if the crimp comes loose AND the mini strap breaks, the end cap won't get pulled through the lug, keeping the potbox working, though not as well.
Redundancy is good - double redundancy is even more gooder.
Sorry - I took the picture before I did the double redundancy stuff.

Next I drilled out the temperature sending unit so that it would fit under one of the Zilla's water fittings. The sending unit comes with a 1/4 lug, but I needed it to be 3/8". A little drilling, a little filing a and a little Dremeling and voila.

Lastly, I flipped the cover over on the Zilla so that the graphic was right side up. I know, but it was bothering me.

That's enough for one night.

No comments: