Friday, August 8, 2008

Charger quandry

I was about to order the Manzanita Micro PFC-20 I planned to use when I found out some bad news. First, the price has gone up around $300, second, there is now an 8 week wait for delivery and lastly, it appears you can't get the battery regulators that are made to work with it.
The battery regulators are needed for the AGM batteries I'm using to keep them from being damaged from overcharging since they can't "off-gas" like old school flooded cells.

I spent some time researching the battery regulator options and found PowerCheq and BEQ1.

The PowerCheqs sight says they may not work with long battery strings. I contacted Ryan at EVSource who sells them to see if they would work with my 13 bat string. Ryan replied that he didn't recommend them, and haven't got a reply when I asked for the reasons why.

BEQ1s looked good and were designed to work with the Optima D34M batteries I'm using, plus they are $20 less than the PowerCheqs. I contacted the manufacturer of the BEQ1s to see if they would work with the PFC-20 and the answer was no - they only work with the Zivan NG3. I had looked at the Zivan, but they are not dual voltage like the PFC-20, so I would need two chargers - one for 220 at home and another for 110 opportunity charging while on the road.
The Zivan is smaller and cheaper than the PFC-20, so it's worth looking into, and maybe I can come up with a cheap way to handle 110 charging...


I checked around and found a step up transformer that says it can step up a 15 amp 110 circuit to 220, but doesn't give an amp rating for the 220, but it's less than $100. I sent the Zivan folks a message to see if they thought this idea would work. Their reply was to say the NG3 charger needed more amps than the charger would offer and that they would get back to me with a proposed solution.

Maybe I need to get a cheap Rusco for the 110 charging and mount the Zivan in the garage?


So, I guess I'll wait to find out what the folks at Zivan come up with...

No comments: