Saturday, August 23, 2008

It takes a village...


Sorry for the cornball title, but I wanted to mention something about the EV community. There are a lot of knowledge people out there willing to help answer your questions, loan you a hand or, in my case, a tool. I've gotten to the point where I need to start making up the high power cables - these are the ones that connect the batteries together in one long series string and connect up the main contactor, fuse, breaker and controller. To make these cables, you buy a roll of fat cable (I used 2/0 welding cable), some terminals (lugs and/or cable clamps) and then crimp them on the cables. A special tool called a cable crimper is needed to do this. You can get an inexpensive hammer crimper for $35 all the way up to a ratcheting hex crimper for around $300. In my research found that most people recommend the hex crimper (the ratcheting part is a nice addition, but not necessary) - but these run well over $200 and how often are you going to use it? Since I belong to my local EAA (Electric Auto Association), I decided to see if I can borrow one from a fellow member. I was overwelmed at the response. People offered to deliver it to my home, to meet me after work, to come over and help me crimp the cables over the weekend - amazing!
So I was able to borrow this expensive and amazing tool from a fellow EVer, no questions asked.

The crimping was kinda fun. The tool takes some muscle, but the results were clean and professional looking - if I do say so myself.

No comments: