Sunday, October 5, 2008

No con-duit


Another difficult day was in store for me this morning. I made an early trip to buy a short length of black PVC pipe to protect the cables near the axles and a proper hose fitting for the vacuum pump.

I'll spare you the details and just say, the fitting didn't fit, the pump still runs, but I still think the fitting is the culprit here.

I got a 16" section of 1.5" PVC pipe to use as a conduit below the axle. It was pretty difficult getting the terminal (clamp) ends of the cables through the pipe while lying on my back and reaching over my head. Eventually I got it. I shoved in the 220 VAC cable from the charger port too, then I tie wrapped it up and reconnected the terminals to the batteries.

I spent some time looking at it from under the car and it just looks sloppy. These battery cables are pretty heavy, so even though they are tie wrapped nice and tight, they sag. You can see in the picture a loop of orange hanging down toward the front of the car. Ugh.
So, after much gnashing of teeth, I decided that I'll be using a conduit for the whole run. I'll need to pull out the cables from the front (where they are terminated on lugs) and pull them through.

That will be next week.

No comments: