Monday, January 12, 2009

Pressed into service

My wife called me at work yesterday to say her car broke. She wasn't too far from home when something went ding (her words) and her battery light came on, then her power steering was gone and then it started to overheat.
Any guesses?
Fan belt, maybe?
I got home at looked under the hood and the belt was there, and in one piece, but it was all wrapped up - looks like an idler pulley broke off.
It was 6:30 at night and I took the Miata down to Kragen for some ICE parts.
Kinda ironic, I guess...
I didn't have a chance to put them in that night, so the Miata got to run errands and drop our daughter off at school. She enjoyed riding in it, not because it's quiet or quick or emission free, but because she can sit in the front. Anyway these little trips confirmed my verdict on #2 - she's bad. So replacing her will be my project for the weekend.
Since I will have everything stripped down up front to pull the battery, I invited the draftsperson (do they still go by that?) over to start the drawings for the kit. Might as well take advantage of the situation...
I also might install the emergency disconnect cable. I bought a choke cable that I was going to connect to the main circuit breaker so that I could disconnect the pack from the driver seat. It's been sitting on the toolbench. Maybe I'll have a chance to connect it this weekend too.

No comments: