Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Battery Story

I realized that the battery problems I've been having may not make a lot of sense unless you know the full story - so I thought I'd give you all a recap and some lessons learned so that you may avoid learning them like me.

I had 13 Optima D34M Blue tops delivered before I was ready for them to be installed. This wasn't a bad thing, in itself...
You are supposed to test the motor when it's first installed to confirm that the flywheel, clutch and the motor all all in working order. I put the car in neutral and since the batteries were there, I jumpered one of them to the motor leads. It worked fine, but I put a drain on one of the batteries and now they were no longer balanced.

Lesson #1 - use your starting battery for this test - not one of your pack batteries.

Next was a little mishap I had wiring up the batteries. The details are in a post called "the meltdown", but the end result was 5 batteries were shorted out with one of them taking the brunt of the damage. One was replaced (it was the original #4) but the others are still in the pack and now out of balance with the rest of the pack.

Lesson #2 - don't be a numskull and short out your pack - or, more correctly, don't leave loose ends of cables on your batteries. Each cable should have both ends connected before you move on to the next. Don't leave one end unterminated while you go onto the next cable.

With the pack out of balance, I began to charge each battery individually. This is the way to do it, but you should use an automatic battery charger with an AGM setting. I used a manual charger, and though it worked most of the time just fine... well you get the picture.

Lesson #3 - invest in an automatic battery charger with an AGM setting for individual charging.


I have heard people say that Optima doesn't have the best quality control and that one should expect a battery or two to fail in a pack, and I can say the 2 that have been troublesome so far (#5 and #2) were not overcharged by the manual charger. But, if I had not put the pack so far out of balance I don't believe I would still be dealing with battery issues today.
And that, I think, that is the big lesson.

No comments: