Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Clamps and Lugs

Well, I was mistaken.
Did some research before I ordered the lugs for my batteries - these are the kind that bolt onto the screw terminals. In the book "Convert It" (AKA the conversion bible) it recommends lugs over clamps. But I got to thinking the surface area of a clamp must be 3x that of a lug - even a big 3/8" one. So I did a little research and found an answer on the DIY Electric Car Forum (a great sight, by the way). One of the members explained that lugs are great for under 250 amps, but anything above that needs a clamp. This may not be 100% true (I think 250 may be a little low) but since I'm planning on handling 500 amps, this answer was good enough for me.
So I ordered a 26 clamps, 26 boots and a few lugs for the Zilla, Contactor, motor and etc.
Next I need to find a cable crimper to borrow...

No comments: