Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Burning rubber

I've been trying to get a 0-60 time on the car and I found that it's not as easy as it sounds.

First you need to find a place with a 60 mph speed limit, with light traffic, that is level for about a 1/4 mile and has a wide shoulder for you to start from. I'm also looking for a place that's along my commute or nearby so that I won't have to drive out of my way to do the test.

I found a place that is pretty close and bought a cheap stopwatch and made several attempts. Problem is, I'm better behind a wrench than behind the wheel. I shift too late, feather the accelerator too much not to mention being late with the stopwatch...

In my latest attempts I decided to just hammer it and shift at 5000 rpm and see how we do.
The first time I tried it the Zilla cut out - I started moving then, no power. After I released the acceleration and step on the juice returned. No point working the stop watch on this run.
I found that the Zilla Stall Detect was the culprit and disabled it.

The next morning I reset my stopwatch and drive out to the spot, pull to the shoulder, put it in second gear and wait for the traffic to clear. Once the coast is clear I hit the stopwatch and floor it. The motor revs and we start moving, but not too very fast - and then there is the smell of something burning. I back off the pedal and get to 60, but the stopwatch shows 14.4 seconds and the smell is now clearly burning rubber. I drive around the block and see about a ten foot strip of rubber leading off the shoulder and into the street.

So, the hammer plan obviously won't work.
I still don't have my 0-60 time, but I do have a nice strip of rubber to show for my trouble.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Summit Racing used to sell performance measuring devices that you could attach to your windshield (like a radar detector). I think they worked off a gyroscope and were able to give 0-60 times as well as 1/4 mile times, calculat hoprsepower and torque ratings and I think give you lateral accleration ratings as well. They were more or less accurate (within .10 second for 1/4 mile times) and weren't too expensive (about $130 some years ago).

Anonymous said...

If you've got an iPhone or iPod Touch or can borrow one, there's an app called Dynolicious that can give you reasonable performance data without having to work a stopwatch.

pmackey said...

Great comments!
The ones I found from Summit were $189 and fit into the dash - maybe a different part?
The iPhone idea sounds like a great deal at $12.99.