Friday, October 23, 2009

Denied!

I'm looking at adding an AVCON charging port to the car since the public charging locations here in SF are mostly all equipped with them. In order to use the public charging spots in parking lots, you need to have the proper silver ZEV stickers on the car. Since the car is now registered and the stickers are only $8 (plus they let you drive in the carpool lane) I figured I'd send in the form.
This was in September.

A month later I get a letter from the DMV - not with my stickers, but with my uncashed check and a nice letter explaining that a 1992 Miata is a gas car and if I want to register it as Natural Gas, blah, blah, blah.

The form wasn't very detailed - it was intended for hybrids, those Ulta Low Emission Vehicles and maybe an EV1 or RAV 4 EV - not for a conversion. I can see how they might think I was just trying to get into the car pool lane for free...

After stewing for a couple of days I wrote them what I thought was a nice letter and included a copy of the BAR Referee certificate to prove the car is now electric.

I was going to include some pictures, and a link to my web site, but figured that may just annoy them.

We'll see what they say.

1 comment:

pmackey said...

Still no word from the "sticker police."