Monday, September 1, 2008

The box


Over the three day weekend I was able to get a little work done on the car. I decided it was easier to put the high voltage components into a box rather than try to find a place to mount them each and then try to insulate all the connectors. I bought a 6"x6"x4" plastic junction box at Lowes which was big enough for the main contactor (the relay that acts as the main power switch) and the shunt for the ammeter. The only other component that is high voltage is the Zilla, but I'll deal with insulating it later. Next, I needed to mount the box. I planned on keeping it as close to the Zilla as possible so that the wire runs were short. I built a mount out of 1" flat steel that connected to 2 of the nose rack mounting bolts and to one of the radiator mounts on the car. After the mount was done, I figured out where the cables were going to run into the box and drilled some holes. Next, I cut and crimped the cables. I was hoping for nice straight runs, but shirt cables, you don't get much flex for pretty "S" bends and the like. Still looks good.

I have 4 cables left - one to the circuit breaker (that I plan to mount on the upper rack near the Zilla), one to the rear pack from the breaker, one back from the rear pack to the contactor and lastly, a replacement for one I fried.

I should get a box this week with the needed terminals.

No comments: